Monday, September 1, 2014

About me

I was born and raised in china, and I moved to the united states when I was 10 years old; when I moved here, I learned the english language within 6 months without an accent but began to forget chinese. When I almost completely forgot chinese at age 12 my mom sent me back to china for a year to get back in touch with my roots and culture; but more importantly to relearn chinese so i can still freely communicate with her. When most people think of china, they think of factories and kids working in sweatshops and ancient chinese temples and palaces, my best friend in middle school even thought I lived in a village with rice patties when I told her I was born in china. I lived in the city, and they were the most luxurious and flourishing cites I've ever seen, everywhere seems to be downtown. Of course they are the farmers, and they did live in rural areas; theres no suburban in china, theres the big tall buildings with blinding flashy lights, and there are the little villages in-the-middle-of-no-where, theres is no in between. I visit my family in china about once every year, and I think it's very interesting to see and experience both cultures, and being able to see the world through two different perspectives,  that's the coolest thing about being bi-cultured.
I'm very curious, and interested in the human mind. The human brain is a bizarre thing, so much information obtained, processed and put to use, all within the size of half a soccer ball. Take myself as an example, being equally fluent in two languages, I find it hard to distinguish which language I think or dream in. unless I'm consciously thinking about this matter, "hey I'm thinking in English right now", or "woah I can think in Chinese too", I don't know what language my brain uses to process daily information. I can't even imagine what people who speak 5, 6 languages think about having to think about the language their brain thinks in. Each brain is like it's own little universe, it has the capacity to  memorize and store infinite information, and when put to use right, it can accomplish magnificent things.
 
I'm not a fan of sports, whether its actually participating in them or just watching other people play, however, I love to watch soccer. Manchester United is my favorite soccer team, or just any sports team, ever. My uncle is the biggest soccer fan I know, I grew up listening to him talk about who play who last night, who should've passed the ball, or whose coach just got replaced; his room was filled with countless posters of famous soccer players, he was obsessed. When I was old enough to understand the basic rules of soccer, he basically shoved it down my throat, whenever I visited he always dragged me along to watch reruns of the games and it grew on me, I loved watching soccer. I think soccer is the only sport I enjoy watching is because it's so simple, one goal means one point, thats all. No three strikes or yards or three pointers or whatever else that makes the other sports so difficult to watch if you didn't know all the rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment