Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 09-15~09-22


This week we mainly worked on our college essays for the colleges we want to apply for. I want to go to CU Boulder, or rather I was told "oh you're gonna go to CU for college" ever since I was in middle school by my parents so I did not really have an option there. Which I don't really mind because I like Boulder, I think I'd really enjoy attending college there, even though I still have no idea on what I'd like to major in or what I want to do with the rest of my life. It's a stressful thing to think about, having to decide what I want to do and what I need to learn to provide for myself for the rest of my life. But then I realized it's ok to to not know, that's what being young is all about, to be able to go out there, outside of my comfort zone and explore the world, experiencing different things, making mistakes and learning from those mistakes who I am and who I strive to be. Although I haven't quite figured out what I want in life yet, I know for sure that I do not want to be 40 years old, stuck with a job I hate wishing I had chosen differently when I was younger. I believe as long as I'm eager to learn and want to make the best of myself, I don't need to worry about making a solid decision right now, I can figure that out along the way on my journey to figure out who I am.

While I was writing my college essays, I realized my writing focuses alot about my culture and Asian heritage, it is what makes me unique, makes me distinctly Sijia, and I am proud of who I am.
It is a big part of my life and what makes me the person I am, which I thought would be essential to include in my essays; that I would bring diversity to the school. I think it's important to address the cultural aspects of what makes me different from others and why I should be accepted. Also the prompt I chose for one of the essays was failure; which was funny and ironic because I'm Asian, and Asians don't fail, right? That is exactly why I chose the prompt, breaking the stereotype of Asians always getting straight A's and spending all their spare time in the library.(So hard to believe, I know.) Letting the college know that I've overcome failures and I know how to deal with them. Some stereotypes are true though, like the driving one, Asians are indeed the worst drivers you will ever meet, ever. Don't trust your life with us.


No comments:

Post a Comment